More is More


Lake O'Hara Lodge, acrylic, 20x24



Do you ever question the “less is more” saying? It's such a blanket statement that one may be deceived into believing that it is possible to gain more by contributing less.

Call me crazy, but I have always believed that no job should be easy – if it is, than we can probably do more, try harder, or learn something new. 

Even when one acquires superior skills, so it takes less effort to create a piece of art, one is then capable of creating more art, or further expanding skills into some entirely new area that needs to be learned.

This is my personal recipe for what it’s worth - when work feels easy, go back and do more. Keep going until the ease disappears and something new has emerged – that by itself is a personal victory. 

There are new techniques to be learned, new materials to be researched, new concepts to be tried out. Yes, we will end up making some paintings too, but at the end of the day, it's all abut integrity - isn't it?


“I firmly believe that any man’s finest hour – his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear…is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle---victorious.” (Vince Lombardi)

3 comments:

  1. Good points and all worth considering but personally, I love that quote, used in the sense that it normally is. I always thought that it came from some famous jazz musician. Miles Davis perhaps. It's very commonly quoted in band situations, usually by the singer, talking to the backup players. In that situation it has enormous weight. The very best players exercise restraint and resist the temptation to show off their abilities by filling the air with superfluous notes.
    In painting, I would apply it especially to the issue of knowing when to stop. I've ruined more than one painting by painting too much. Just my 2¢.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wes, I see what you mean - let's stop before we drop dead, or the work goes dead. :-) I can see that danger. I just always found that this quote springs me into action when I am ridden with doubts, or it makes me thoughtful when I get too cocky.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete