From Calgary to Santa Fe!

Odaray Mountain Reflection by Tatjana Mirkov-Popovicki, acrylic 20x24



I am thrilled to have five of my Yoho paintings available for viewing and sale in Calgary, in the wonderful Webster Gallery. This is the first time that my work makes appearance in Calgary in a commercial space, although I had pleasure to participate in various group shows across Alberta over the years. If you happen to be in the area, I hope you will make time to visit - there is nothing like seeing paintings in the real life! Good selection of my paintings can also be seen in a few Vancouver, Whistler and Edmonton fine galleries, with friendly staff always happy to help.

So what's with Santa Fe?

It's been my dream for many years to make an homage to the Georgia O'Keeffe land and to see that incredible, pastel colored, organic-patterned landscape that she made famous in her paintings. And finally I did! I got a chance to visit the famous Ghost Ranch and hike the same mesas where Georgia did her magic. The experience is memorable, as you can see from these magical pics.






I admire Georgia for many reasons, some of which can be taken as excellent lessons for any painter:


  • With a very slight change in tone, and surprising, poetic shifts of chroma, she had composed the most beautiful compositions. It doesn't really matter what her subject matter was; be it a flower, a desert-weathered horse scull or a gently wrinkled landscape, sensitivity of chromatic forms is amazing! I wish I had days rather than hours to spend in the Santa Fe Georgia O'Keeffe Museum
  • Georgia's drawing skills were stellar, and she had an impeccable taste in using them. In a semi abstract painting, among whirls of ambiguous shapes, you can find just a couple of beautiful, masterful lines that are pure poetry. She never hits you over the head with mastery. She lets you search and discover it for yourself.
  • And most importantly, she had created a beautiful life for herself, doing things she wanted to do, in the place of her choosing. Imagine moving to another side of the continent and making home among strangers, all on her own, at that time and age. She did it courageously, with certainty that she chose the right path, and judging by everything we know about her, she was right.


Georgia's attitude, her life and her work inspire me and encourage me to be at least a little bit bolder and braver with my art. I hope that she inspires you too.

Tatjana

4 comments:

  1. That's wonderful Tatjana! I hope to get to see them in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tracey, I am very excited about it, I hope you'll enjoy seeing them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous news! The Webster is lucky to have your work! Georgia, what an artist. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Cindy, I am so happy to be in Calgary "in paint" :-)

      Delete