Art Keepsakes

Goat Mountain, triptych by Tatjana Mirkov-Popovicki, not for sale 


The theme of creative  joy continues!

What comes to mind when you try to recall the most joyful creative moments from your past? For me, this takes me back to my childhood when I could immerse myself in drawing for hours on end, the outside world disappearing completely. It was all about creating my imaginary world with endless possibilities. Where is that magical world now?

It's still here. Somewhat burred under expectations, needs to excel, desires to get better, but still here, And I am making a point of re-discovering it by paying a close attention to things that resonate joy.

Here is an example.

I have a painting that I made a few years ago that I particularly enjoyed making. It went to a few shows and didn't get sold, and I have to admit that I was relieved, because I secretly wanted it for myself!

I never send a painting into the world if I don't like it, but this one had something in it that puzzled me (in a good way) every time I looked at it. It still does. It's been hanging on my living room wall and I never get tired of it. But I often had a thought that I wished the composition included a wider view of those amazing mountain patterns.


The original - Goat Mountain, acrylic painting by Tatjana Mirkov-Popovicki


That gave me an idea. How much fun would it be to turn my favorite painting into a triptych?

So that's what I've been doing the past few days. I added vertical narrow panels on each side of it and expanded the composition. The result is on the top of the post. I enjoyed both the result and the process. I got to play with patterns (I am crazy about patterns!) and the best part is that I am  keeping this triptych for myself!

My little selfishness will be justified because I now feel even more inspired to make new paintings with patterns of our stunning Canadian landscape. This project helped crystallize my inspiration. Art begets art, as it should.

Talking about art keepsakes...

Don't you love to see which paintings of their own artists keep for themselves? When I was just starting to paint I was told by an accomplished artist that professional artists never keep their own work because they can't afford it. I found that very sad and I hoped that it wasn't true.

A few years later, the owner of the first commercial gallery that represented my work suggested to me to keep a few pieces from each body of my work for myself.

I took that to heart.

I make sure to have enough of my own paintings in my personal collection, to illustrate where I've been and what I've done so far.

I also have a few paintings by other artists whom I've encountered on my journey. Some I received in exchange for my own work, and some I purchased. Creating an art collection gives me an interesting perspective because it allows me to truly appreciate both sides of the creative joy - the creation and appreciation of art.


On my wall - a lovely still life by a wonderful artist Cindy Revell


I warmly recommend having your own art collection, be it created by yourself or by artists whose work you admire. It's never too late to start, and it can be as easy as picking up a brush!

Whether you make it or buy it, I guarantee that it will be a great source of joy.

I love my keepsakes!

Tatjana


On my wall - an inspiring landscape painting by a talented artist Brian Buckrell

2 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful with the view expanded. I love how you were able to match the colours to the original painting - it looks like you made the triptych in one go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, this was a fun project and I warmly recommend it - when the composition lends itself to expansion.

      Delete