Backyard Art


Botanical Beach, 30x40, original painting by Tatjana Mirkov-Popovicki

Botanical Beach, Juan de Fuca Provincial Park, 30×40 is one of my three pieces to be featured in the West Coast Homeland art exhibit in the Beaumont Gallery in Vancouver, June 13-2. The opening reception is on June 15, 7-10pm. The address is 316 W 5th Avenue, Vancouver. You are invited! 


The summer has finally arrived in my neck of the woods and with it, the art activities gravitate toward the outdoors. There are plenty of things to paint just outside my studio.





Red Rhodos, acrylic sketch by Tatjana Mirkov-Popovicki


I call it Backyard Art, and you don't need a backyard to do it. It consists of sketching things around your home. Any home and neighborhood have something of interest for an artist's eye.

Here are a few sketches I've done there over years, in various styles and techniques. As you can see, I am drawn to interesting organic patterns, as well as shadows and sunlit foliage.




The focus is on enjoying the process, the good weather, and all the humble little things of beauty which have no ambition of competing for attention in art galleries.

A very special thank you goes to my hubby for making our garden beautiful and abundant with a great subject matter for sketching. My sketches of flowers are always his favorites.



The hanging baskets and potted flowers are compliments of my plant-loving husband Sinisa


Here is an example of a daylily painting which my hubby and I painted together a few years ago.



Daylily, original painting by Sinisa and Tatjana



If you have an art lover in your family who might appreciate being encouraged to pick up a brush, Backyard Art is a great place to start. You can even turn an afternoon of Backyard Art into a family or neighborhood event.

Enjoy the summer, your home, your loved ones, and of course, art!

Tatjana

No comments:

Post a Comment